Thursday, August 14, 2014

Service

My thoughts during group:
One of the first things I thought of was the hymn, Have I Done Any Good?

As we talked about service and the quote just above by President Monson "a brief telephone call" brought back an experience from several years ago. I thought I had posted this story before, but I can't seem to find it. Oddly enough, this same person called just before I went to group! So, way back when I was struggling, extremely,  painfully struggling with so many different things. One afternoon my husband was at work, I laid down on my bed crying, bawling, pleading and praying to Heavenly Father that I desperately needed someone to talk to. I didn't know who to turn to. As the day went on, nothing happened. The following Sunday my visiting teacher came up to me and said, "The other day I got this strong prompting that I needed to call you. I figured you're fine!" and she turned and walked away. Now, I think of this often, not in a negative way. I learned from it, NEVER ignore a prompting! I shared this experience with the group and Sister R pointed out, "Heavenly Father was trying to help you." Often Heavenly Father does work through others. He himself couldn't call me and talk to me, he prompted someone else, someone who decided to ignore prompting. I am grateful that this sister told me she got that prompting so that I knew that my prayer was heard!

Then lastly, one of the last things we read "In your relationships with family members and others, look to the Savior as your example. Strive to love as He loves." I thought about my sister. I don't know what I did or said to make her mad at me, but I miss her. I miss us being close. One thing I have decided to keep doing is to continue to serve her and to treat her as if there is no problem with our relationship. Instead of becoming angry that she is mad or dislikes me for some unknown reason, I try my hardest to continue a positive relationship.

No comments: