Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Wordy Wednesday: Self-Harm

This is a great article on Self-Harm. (here)

Although I personally don't agree with 100% of the "What should I do to be supportive?" section...

When my family found out about my cutting they did recommend professional help, BUT first, I was already in counseling and second, they were trying to force me to go. Trying to force me just made me more resistant to what they wanted me to do. Thankfully they eventually dropped it.

What I wish my family had done:
  • Don't be too judgmental.
  • Let them know that you are there to listen if they ever want to talk about it or the reason why they feel they need to engage in such behaviors.
  • Don't freak out every time they touch a sharp object, calmly ask what they are doing
  • Oh and don't tell them they are going to go to hell because of what they are doing!

No comments: