Sunday, April 25, 2010

Spiritual Sunday: 20-dollar bill

I LOVED this analogy from this recent talk by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf

"..One woman who had been through years of trial and sorrow said through her tears, “I have come to realize that I am like an old 20-dollar bill—crumpled, torn, dirty, abused, and scarred. But I am still a 20-dollar bill. I am worth something. Even though I may not look like much and even though I have been battered and used, I am still worth the full 20 dollars.”

You can read his full talk here.


Every time I see a picture of President Uchtdorf, or hear him talk I flash back to an interesting experience I had. I baby-sit off and on for Ben Sowards, who illustrates books. I should also mention that he illustrated one for President Uchtdorf. Well, I was at Ben's house watching his kids and the phone rang. I always looked at the caller ID and unless it was Ben or his wife, I didn't answer and let it go to their answering machine. I checked the caller ID and it was the LDS Church Office Building, the call was obviously for Ben so I did not answer it. When his wife got home she looked at the recent calls and asked if I answered. She then informed me that if I HAD answer I would of talked to... President Uchtdorf!!! Dang it, I should of answered. My husband always gives me a hard time, "If you're ever babysitting and the church office calls ANSWER it!"

No comments: