Thursday, May 19, 2016

Depression

I can't sleep. Maybe it's because I was looking on Facebook before bed and an article got me thinking. Or because my husband is snoring and I can NOT fall asleep when he snores. Or because I'm having slight anxiety about making this little girl sleep outside for the first time-
My daughter named her Pie. She is the sweetest, snuggliest, softest little bunny I have ever met and I am scared to death she is going to freeze outside tonight! When I decided to come back downstairs to blog I totally brought her in for snuggles!

Moving on... So I was scrolling through Facebook and a friend posted a link and it sounded interesting. I read it, loving and agreeing with it all (it was about marriage counseling) and then I read, "We live in a world that is so quick to convince us to ignore our feelings... Depressed? Take a pill. Anxiety? Take 2 pills."
(read full article here)

Now my mind is spinning and I can't even put into words how I feel. All I can come up with is, I am SOOOOO grateful for that little, dumb pill. I'm grateful that ever since my surgery I can just stay on the medication that works for me. I'm grateful that the 1 1/2 years of ups and downs and different meds is over!!!

For the record, I do more for my depression then just "take a pill". I've been to counseling and also exercise on a regular basis. However, taking a pill is NOT ignoring my feelings, it is actually allowing me to FEEL them! Depression is more than sadness. At times it makes you almost numb to any feelings (happiness or sadness). If I just exercised I would still be depressed, same with if I just did counseling. I know for some just exercise works, not for me. I need that medication. That pill helps me be able to function.

Maybe she meant some people think if they are just sad, not truly depressed, that instead of changing things in their lives to help they simply pop pills. Depression is so much more then temporarily being sad. So, so much more. More than words can explain.

It was really interested that around the same time I read that article I saw this quote:

No comments: